There will be a meeting for those that are interested in playing football at Plains Junior, Ridge Junior, Lakota West Freshman or Lakota West High School on Monday May 5th at 6:30 p.m. in the Lakota West Theater. Coaches will be on hand to answer any questions that you may have and pass out calendars and other important information regarding the 2014 season. The Program meeting will begin at 6:30 p.m. in the Theater and then break off into specific schools and teams. 2013 brought us a GMC Championship and play-off appearance. Let’s make the 2014 season even better!
There will be a Relay for Life fundraiser on Tuesday, April 22nd at the City BBQ off of Tylersville Road in Voice of America Centre. Please click here for the flyer, which must be presented at the time of order.
25% of the proceeds go to Lakota West's Relay for Life event. Come get some amazing BBQ and help support Relay!
The Lakota West Art Department is proud to announce four winners in this year’s “An Artistic Discovery”, the 2014 Ohio 8th District Congressional Art Competition. The competition honors excellence in two-dimensional artwork from students in grades 9th – 12th grade.
Christine Tweddell received the Grand Prize award for her painting, “Restless”. Her work will be on display at the Capitol for the year and will represent the 8th Congressional District. Christine received a $3,000 scholarship and two free round-trip airfare to attend the national winners’ reception in Washington, D.C.
Sean McCracken received 3rdplace for his photograph, “Modern Bruising”.
Hannah McGovney received honorable mention for her drawing, “Pigmented Identity”
...along with Keenan Spencer for his drawing, “Deer in Headlights”.
Students were honored at the awards ceremony at the Springfield Museum of Art on April 5th. Their work will be on display in one of John Boehner’s local offices until May 13th.
10 - $500 Post-Secondary Scholarships can be Awarded
· Character - Exhibits qualities such as honesty, integrity, self-discipline and respect
· Community Service - Improves the Community in which they live
· Education – Pursuing a post-secondary degree in education
· First In Family – Parents or grandparents did not attend college
· LWHS Citizenship – Works to strengthen Lakota West
· Non-Traditional – Butler Tech., PSEOP, Online Education, etc.
· Personal Initiative – Demonstrates personal resolve over an issue or problem
· Special Education – Pursing post-secondary degree in special education
Graduating Lakota West High School seniors may apply for more than one scholarship (category). However, only one scholarship will be awarded per applicant.
· Graduating Lakota West High School senior.
· Must have applied or been accepted to a post-secondary institution.
· No minimum grade point requirement.
· Scholarship is not based on financial need.
· Completed application.
· Essay (250 word minimum—typed & double-spaced) explaining how you successfully meet the requirements for the particular scholarship category, including how it relates to obtaining a post-secondary education.
· References (3) – Letters Not Required.
Recipients determined by committee of PTSO members (3) and Lakota West administrators (2). Applications and essays will be reviewed by all committee members.
Applications and essays are due BY Thursday, April 17 to Lakota West Student Services Office (David Klaserner).
Questions should be directed to David Klaserner, Lakota West Guidance Counselor, or Kristin Henley, PTSO Scholarship Chair.